The U.S. Department of Education (ED) and the Office of English Language Acquisition (OELA) are pleased to announce the first two chapters of the English Learner Family Toolkit.
The English Learner Family Toolkit was created to help families choose education services that meet their child’s needs.
The toolkit provides information, tips, and resources that EL families may need as they prepare to enroll their children in public schools across the United States. The chapters are designed to assist families with navigating the U.S. school system by providing helpful questions they might ask teachers and school staff.
The topics include:
1. Enrolling Your Child in School
2. Attending Schools in the United States
The subsequent chapters that will follow:
3. Obtaining Services for English Learners
4. Finding Additional Services for Your Child
5. Keeping Your Child Safe and Healthy in School
6. Helping Your Child with Schoolwork at Home
Each topic covered in the English Learner Family Toolkit is divided into 5 parts: (1) General Information, (2) Family and Student Rights. (3) Questions to Ask School Staff, (4) Tips, and (5) Resources.
All resources in the Toolkit are available online for free.